Saturday, June 23, 2012

30 Day Book Challenge! Day 23: Reading List

Day 23: What is a book you've wanted to read for a long time, but still haven't?

There's a long list to choose from for this question. Very. Long. List. I shall choose the most scandalous and appalling book on my book list. Scandalous and appalling, that is, because I should have read it years ago, but still haven't!


Yes, I admit it, I have yet to read Pilgrim's Progress. Isn't that terrible? My only defense is as follows:

Many years ago. Many, many, many years ago. When cars were horses and phones were -- eh? No, wait. It was just the other day, I was ten years old, and we still had cars and phones and computers. Anyway, I was perusing our bookshelf and saw a book I'd never read to date: Pilgrim's Progress! I pulled it off the shelf, set meself down, and read Pilgrim's Progress. I enjoyed it, although it wasn't quite my usual style of reading (I was not yet well-versed in the allegory as a genre). I finished the book, put it on the shelf, and went about my merry way.

The end.

Except, not. Because, as I told you, I haven't read it. Because, as you will see, there is a Part Two to my tale:

Many years later. Many, many, many years later. When civilizations were built on the moon and Mars and -- eh? No, wait. It was only a few years later, or maybe even just a couple months later. Anyway, I stood in front of mother crushed and aghast and asked her to repeat what she had just told me. "All those books are abridged. They're not the real book or story, just shortened versions."

The end.

So, you see, I have read Pilgrim's Progress, but I haven't. I was cheated. Duped. Tricked. I tried to read it. I believed I had read it. And I proved that believing does not mean doing. Yes, it's on my list of books to read, but not my urgent list, seeing as I've read the abridged...

What's a book at the bottom of your reading list?
 


No comments: