Saturday, June 2, 2012

30 Day Book Challenge! Day 2: More than 3 Times

Good morning to you! How's your Saturday faring? We just got back from a delish pancake breakfast at the local fire station - it was great! Had breakfast, met friends, watched the Littles spray the fire hose at a wooden house structure, observed the fire men taking a car apart...good stuff! Lots of pictures to be had this morning...if I had a working camera. As it is, you can just imagine the fun! :)

Today's question is...

Day 2: Which book have you read more than three times?

This is, oddly enough, a bit of a tricky question for me. I have books that I know for sure I've read two times, but more than three? Usually after the second time, I hardly file it away as 'reading' the book. I pick it up to find a favorite part, and end up sitting down and re-devouring it 'accidently'. However, I'm fairly certain this is a 3+ timer. :)


"The 'Old-Fashioned Girl' is not intended as a perfect model, but as a possible improvement upon the Girl of the Period, who seems sorrowfully ignorant or ashamed of the good old fashions which make woman truly beautiful and honored, and, through her, render home what it should be - a happy place, where parents and children, brothers and sisters, learn to love and know and help one another." - Louisa May Alcott
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Honestly, I don't know where to begin or how to end in the praise of this darling tale of Louisa's. A story that fills one with all sorts of "warm fuzzies", An Old-Fashioned Girl holds a special place in the heart of anyone so fortunate as to have read it. It is the story of Polly, a little "old-fashioned" country girl - her life, her thoughts, her failings and her triumphs. It is the story of Fanny, Polly's oh-so-fashionable best friend, whose life is changed by the sweet, down-to-earth sense, styles, and joys of her visitor. It is a story of encouragement to any and all girls who have felt out of place for being "old-fashioned" in their convictions, style, or tastes.



(I also happen to love the particular version I have - printed in 1928, precious pictures...hooray for ebay!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Fanny had been to many elegant lunches, but never enjoyed one more than that droll picnic in the studio; for there was a freedom about it that was charming, and artistic flavor to everything, and such a spirit of good will and gayety [sic] that she felt at home at once. As they ate, the others talked and she listened, finding it as interesting as any romance to hear these young women discuss their plans, ambitions, successes, and defeats. It was a new world to her, and they seemed a different race of creatures from the girls whose lives were spent in dress, gossip, pleasure, or ennui. They were girls still, full of spirits, fun, and youth; but below the light-heartedness each cherished a purpose, which seemed to ennoble her womanhood, to give her a certain power, a sustaining satisfaction, a daily stimulus, that led her on to daily effort and in time to some success in circumstance or character, which was worth all the patience, hope, and labor of her life."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's your favorite Louisa May Alcott? Why?


*all pictures take by the generosity of Emmy's camera :)


3 comments:

Lauren said...

I am jealous of your copy! That is precious! I can't remember for sure if I've read that book three times, but I know I've read A Basket of Flowers (a lamplighter book) four or five times! And I just found out that the author of it wrote O Come Little Children! (Not sure yet if he wrote the words or the music.)

Mikaela said...

Love that one! I may have read it thrice, but I cannot be positive. i know I've read the Bible, A Basket of Flowers (thanks for the reminder, Lauren!), and The Hiding Place at least three times.

I used to re-read books a whole lot more than I do now!

Ben said...

...If skimming through the book and stopping at favorite parts counts as time number three, I could safely say Beric the Briton, The Young Carthaginian, and The Dragon and the Raven, all by G.A. Henty; The Fellowship of the Ring and The Return of the King, by J.R.R. Tolkein.

Louisa May Alcott favorite? Definitely, hands down, no questions asked: Little Women, by its sheer virtue of having been the only one I've ever read.