Friday, October 11, 2013

Five Minute Friday: Ordinary


I woke to a typical, grey, October Friday. I woke with the standard cold that is going around. I woke with hopelessly sad, shower-needing hair that didn't have a chance. I shrugged at the idea of dressing "nicely" and wore a boring jean skirt. This morning I had errands to run, preparations to make, and people to drop off.

Today was, in a word, ordinary.

Checking out at the craft store with some needles and thread, I found my eyes preoccupied with my purse, wallet, and receipts. As I finished my purchase, I realized I had yet to even really look at the girl across the counter from me. Taking my bag, I looked purposefully up into her eyes with a smile. She was dressed for an ordinary day, too: chunky sweater, comfy scarf, her apron covering up most of the rest of her outfit, counting out change for yet another customer in her morning (me). "Thank you so much! Have a good day!" I said. Suddenly, her entire face lit up. "Thank you! You too!" She answered, and, as I walked toward the door, "And your hair looks really pretty, too!"

My hair was a tired, dirty-looking braid, but suddenly, in the light of the smile, her eyes saw something ordinary as beautiful. She was the picture of an ordinary work day, but in the light of her exuberance and kind comment, she became beautiful in her encouragement to me. Walking out of the store, I couldn't keep the smile off my face - both because of her sudden, brilliant reaction, and because of the reminder it gave to me:

As the light of the world, I have the responsibility to dispel ordinary days from those around me. What an extraordinary mission it is!
Five Minute Friday One word. Five minutes. No edits. It's Five Minute Friday!

Disclaimer: This particular post I was writing for a little more than five minutes...but it still is just a "rough draft"!

6 comments:

GranthamLynn said...

What a beautiful post. And a great reminder for us. Thanks for sharing. I wrote an 'ordinary' post following right behind yours!
It was nice to meet you and visit.
Have a good weekend.
Sherry

E Adams Wright said...

Sarah, what a lovely reminder of how a simple act of kindness, a moment of connection can transform an ordinary day. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from FMF.

Mikaela said...

Yes, I want to be that kind of a woman!

Ruthie H. said...

Loved this post, Sarah, especially the last sentence! In the hands of our God, anything "ordinary" can certainly become beautiful and extraordinary. :)

Unknown said...

God has created us to desire beauty. We want our actions, our words, our days to be extra-ordinary! Yet, it really is the ordinary that transforms the ordinary! Just an ordinary word of kindness! Just an ordinary smiling response to an ordinary customer's sweetness. Suddenly, everything is transformed! Thank You, God, for using us "ordinaries"! And thank you, Sarah, for the reminder! This is a beautiful post!
~Karlena Ludlow

Ray said...

That was beautifully painted, Sarah! Thanks for sharing! BTW, you always look fun+happy=nice. :)