Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Music of the Spheres


Photo Credit
 When I went to Sound Foundations a few years ago, my mind was set spinning the very first evening by a speech given to us by the head of the music department. "God spoke the world in to being," he told us, "and what I find very interesting is that the smallest building block of the universe discovered by man is, simply, vibrations. Waves. Sound."

Mind-bogglingly amazing.

The King's voice brought us into existence, and we are made - at the very smallest level - of sound. Isn't that cool? Ben and I have often wondered what melodies we would hear, if we had ears made for the music of the universe. Now, we get a taste. In this fascinating article, you can read about how a group of scientists, working together with musicians, have converted the waves of radioactivity emitted from decaying objects into waves of sound. Yet another signature of our Creator and Designer. The simple notes are pleasant to the ear, and even melodic at times. Put together the sounds of multiple isotopes at once, and you find yourself listening to a charming little motif. Yes, we serve a musical God.

This is my Father's world,
And to my listening ears,
All nature sings and 'round me rings
The music of the spheres.

Really. It does.

3 comments:

Mikaela said...

That is fascinating! I read the article and watched the clip. Thanks for sharing! ;-)

Jo said...

Wow, that is an amazing thought! It will be awesome to learn these sorts of things throughout eternity...Thank you for sharing!

Btw, the deleted comment above was mine...I accidentally wrote amazing twice, and, being the perfectionist (isn't that a nice way of saying that I'm OCD?) that I am, I deleted it, and made a new and improved one!! :D

Lynnae said...

That is so cool!!! Our God is an awesome God!!!I can't wait to see y'all tonight!